The Chocolate Factory site was originally built in the 1880's and by 1953 had reached 5 acres with almost 1000 employees. The original Bassett confectionery business was on this site, leaving Wood Green in the mid 1970’s to move to Hertfordshire, and now forms part of Trebor-Bassett, which is itself part of Cadbury’s.
One of the challenges that Pexhurst is set on a regular basis is challenging its craftsmen/women to restore original installed features back to life again.
The floor works currently being undertaken by Pexhurst demonstrate this further with the above left picture demonstrating the current condition and the right picture showing its resuscitation back to life, all ready for an incoming tenant!
Pexhurst, currently on site with this £3m refurbishment in Wood Green is certainly being given plenty of these restoration challenges, all carried out in an occupied work environment. Today the Chocolate Factory houses more than 200 artists and creative companies providing work for over 500 people.
Director, Nick Tagliarini comments: "Workspace is a 10 year client relationship we are really proud of and projects like this make it all the more worthwhile".